Skip to main content

Piece of Rough

The sun was streaming in through long sun yellow drapes. I laid with my back towards the window the weight of his body making me sink further into the red overstuffed cushions. My chest was his pillow and his arms cradled the side of my body. We were both turned towards the T.V. watching 3:10 to Yuma. I didn't like westerns, but he insisted it was a great movie. I was beginning to dose when I felt his lips against mine.

"You're not supposed to be sleeping, you're supposed to be watching the movie," he mumbled against my lips.

"But I'm so comfortable."

I nuzzled his bottom lip with my own.

"You watch the movie, I'll take a little nap," I said stifling a yawn.

I scooted further down on the couch. The curve of my back becoming parallel with the couch. His long legs hung over the arm rest, but he stayed where he was. I ran my fingers up the back of his shaggy brown hair and  let them rest on his neck. I could feel my eyes beginning to droop again. They felt heavy each blink seeming harder and harder to reopen. The drone from the air conditioner was the white noise lulling me to sleep, while his body's warmth blanketed me from the cool air. Each breath I took got me closer and closer to the nap my body seemed to need.

"I love you."

My breath stopped short, 3:10 to Yuma was in the middle of a gun fight, and my sleepy comfort had just disappeared. I scooted up my back forming the question mark that must have been mirrored on my face. He looked back at me, his blue eyes clear in their meaning.

"I mean it you know. I know its soon, but I do. All I have to do to feel happy is look into your eyes and I know."

Still I stared into his eyes knowing that he believed what he was saying. Still I stared back not knowing what to say. Still I stared back not knowing how long I could wait before I had to say something.

I saw his face getting closer to mine and felt the press of his lips. My lips kissed back half heartedly and I thought surely he knew something was wrong. He stopped kissing me, but kept his face close. His eyes boring into mine. My mouth felt dry and I tried to swallow. I also saw when the bright light dimmed from my lack of answer.

"It's okay, you don't have to say anything. I just needed you to know."

I heard the words as they left his lips, but knew that he didn't mean them.

"I care about you. I do," I cupped the side of his face, my hand cradling his unshaven face. "But, I'm not there yet. I don't know when I will be. I love you. I'm just not in love with you. But, I do. I love you Chris."

I felt like the more I said it, the better it would sound. But, even as the words kept coming I knew that I had lost my way and perhaps would have been better off  not saying anything. The light was not coming back, and I had done that. I didn't know what else to do, so I pulled his face towards mine. I kissed him and felt the mirror reluctance of my previous kiss. I kissed him harder hoping that maybe I could kiss away all the words that had just been said. Slowly he began to respond. I fisted my fingers into his hair and wrapped my legs around his hips pulling him closer. Its the only thing I could do. The only thing I knew how to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

¿Y la Prieta?

My grandma, Ita, called me Prieta. She called me this because my skin is toasted brown. When I was born my mom says I was light skinned, but she knew “que iba ser morena” because the inside of my little baby thighs were already darker than the rest of me. In the sun, I turn a darker brown. I get even more Prieta. It was a term of endearment. My sister, who has a light complexion, was called guera or guerinchi. When I tell people who don’t speak Spanish what Prieta means, dark or the dark one, their eyes open wide and a small gasp escapes. I see the offense they feel for me sprinkled on their faces like the freckles I will never have. When I try to explain, the offense still shadows their eyes. That is the problem with Spanish. Wait, maybe, that is their problem with Spanish. Even when I explain, they are suspicious. Their faces ask, “Is this true?” as if I am setting them up for a joke. But how can I explain the cultural and literal meaning of a word at the same time?

Los Dichos

No hay mal que por bien no venga. Tanto quiere el diablo a su hijo que hasta un ojo le quiere sacar. Mejor sola que mal acompa ñ ada. Tanto pedo para cagar aguado. Lo barato sale caro. Más seguro más amarrado. Para buen entendido muy pocas palabras. Para cada roto un descocido. Hijo pepe mariquita! Para pendeja no se estudia. Limosnero con garrote. Soy como Orozco, cuando como no conozco. La zorra nunca ve su cola ni el zorrillo su fundillo. El muerto y el arrimado al los tres días huelen. Amores de lejos, amores de pendejos. Estaba haciendo chili con la cola. Me  da diarrea con gusanos. Enfermo que come y mea, y el diablo que se le crea. La esperanza es la última que muere. El flojo trabaja doble. De noche todos los gatos son pardos. Una cosa es Juan Domínguez y otra cosa es no la chingues. Es de Don Cuco, entra la bola no se supo. Primero me besa un ciego. Dime con quién andas y te diré quien eres. No porque te levantas más temprano

Birthday Blog: 32 Things I've Learned So Far

1. Priorities change as you get older. 2. Family is important and although I tell myself not to take them for granted I sometimes still do, but what's important is I try. 3. Make plans, lots of plans all the time to give yourself something to laugh about later. 4. One good drink is better than ten bad ones. 5. Beer can be good. Bud Light is not one of those beers. Ever. 6.  BFF's are the ones that change/grow with you. Not every person who was a BFF will stay one. That's okay too; you were in each others lives when you needed to be. 7. Smart beats hot. Every time. 8. Being around negative people is like licking a sick person's hand. It's contagious. Stay away. 9. Patience. Patience. Patience. (I'm still learning that one). 10. Life can continue without that MarcKheil'sChanelSevenChantelleDior thing. It can. Really. 11. If you can't have a conversation. Take the hint. 12. It's okay to cry. A lot. 13. Music. Music that you love that you fee