Skip to main content

When You Care

Last week, after registering people to vote, I came home and cried. Weird things happen to your body when you decide to care about things outside of your immediate vicinity. You cry. You get angry. You pick fights with strangers online. And, if you're like me, and you're a masochist, you read comments on social media posts. Because what the hell, you aren't worried enough about the state of the fucking world, and you aren't dumbfounded enough that there are so many racists fuckheads.

The thing that happens when you care, is that you can't not look at news. Whether it's online, on TV, fucking Instagram, you start to see things you missed before. Long gone are the days of watching Keeping up with the Kardashians to laugh at their rich bitch idiocy, because Kanye went and fucked that shit up, too. 

My husband, he manages to turn it off. He tells me, "Yasmin, don't look. You don't need to know the news." But it's like a bite mark on my inner cheek, I can't stop tonguing. I keep trying to understand where people are coming from, how taxes are more important than LGBTQ, POC, Immigrant rights, but somehow it is. When did people become so callous? I'm not some naive kumbaya person, hell, I can be a dick with the best of them, but these people make me feel like a seven-year-old kid who realized Santa Clause is really her mom's boyfriend.  

The other thing that happens, is it becomes us vs. them. Those people. Trumpsters. Cruzers. Republicans. Conservatives. Alt--wait--I won't use that word, fucking-Nazi-racist-fucks. When the fuck did Nazi's become normal? Now, I know there are spectrums of each of these, (Outside Nazi's. They can all fuck off.) and not everyone is so far in some parallel universe of what it means to be a good person, but it seems like most of them are. People are being downright, fucking horrible.

They shout things like, "Go back to your country." They try to block a person from going into their apartment. They think it's okay to call people idiots and libtards and, and, and, and- Mostly, they are truly fucking ignorant about the topics they hold on to so fiercely without any valid support. Without any knowledge. When did people get so proud of being ignorant? 

So, why did I come home and cry? Because it's fucking exhausting. Because I second guess if I'm right. Because I start to read more and more trying to understand the other side, and it still doesn't make sense. Because if I see one more  "thoughts and prayers" for a shooting or "natural" disaster, I'm going to tell you that you can shove those thoughts and prayers up your ass, and they are about as effective as wiping your shitty ass with your hand. Because fuck you for being a selfish asshole who thinks Latino kids belong in a camp miles outside of my city separated from their parents, because you were "here" first. Because, because, because, because--

My chest aches so much it burns, and I feel like I'm drowning, but I keep smiling and trying, because if I don't what else will I do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

¿Y la Prieta?

My grandma, Ita, called me Prieta. She called me this because my skin is toasted brown. When I was born my mom says I was light skinned, but she knew “que iba ser morena” because the inside of my little baby thighs were already darker than the rest of me. In the sun, I turn a darker brown. I get even more Prieta. It was a term of endearment. My sister, who has a light complexion, was called guera or guerinchi. When I tell people who don’t speak Spanish what Prieta means, dark or the dark one, their eyes open wide and a small gasp escapes. I see the offense they feel for me sprinkled on their faces like the freckles I will never have. When I try to explain, the offense still shadows their eyes. That is the problem with Spanish. Wait, maybe, that is their problem with Spanish. Even when I explain, they are suspicious. Their faces ask, “Is this true?” as if I am setting them up for a joke. But how can I explain the cultural and literal meaning of a word at the same time?

Birthday Blog: 32 Things I've Learned So Far

1. Priorities change as you get older. 2. Family is important and although I tell myself not to take them for granted I sometimes still do, but what's important is I try. 3. Make plans, lots of plans all the time to give yourself something to laugh about later. 4. One good drink is better than ten bad ones. 5. Beer can be good. Bud Light is not one of those beers. Ever. 6.  BFF's are the ones that change/grow with you. Not every person who was a BFF will stay one. That's okay too; you were in each others lives when you needed to be. 7. Smart beats hot. Every time. 8. Being around negative people is like licking a sick person's hand. It's contagious. Stay away. 9. Patience. Patience. Patience. (I'm still learning that one). 10. Life can continue without that MarcKheil'sChanelSevenChantelleDior thing. It can. Really. 11. If you can't have a conversation. Take the hint. 12. It's okay to cry. A lot. 13. Music. Music that you love that you fee

Los Dichos

No hay mal que por bien no venga. Tanto quiere el diablo a su hijo que hasta un ojo le quiere sacar. Mejor sola que mal acompa ñ ada. Tanto pedo para cagar aguado. Lo barato sale caro. Más seguro más amarrado. Para buen entendido muy pocas palabras. Para cada roto un descocido. Hijo pepe mariquita! Para pendeja no se estudia. Limosnero con garrote. Soy como Orozco, cuando como no conozco. La zorra nunca ve su cola ni el zorrillo su fundillo. El muerto y el arrimado al los tres días huelen. Amores de lejos, amores de pendejos. Estaba haciendo chili con la cola. Me  da diarrea con gusanos. Enfermo que come y mea, y el diablo que se le crea. La esperanza es la última que muere. El flojo trabaja doble. De noche todos los gatos son pardos. Una cosa es Juan Domínguez y otra cosa es no la chingues. Es de Don Cuco, entra la bola no se supo. Primero me besa un ciego. Dime con quién andas y te diré quien eres. No porque te levantas más temprano