Skip to main content

Boy meets Girl that has Girl... Wait What?

Social norms have taught us that relationships are supposed to work in a certain way. Boy meets girl. Boy girl either fall in love or they kick one another to the curb and repeat with different people. Lately though, there has been an influx of unique situations that I've stumbled across. I'm sure the title is a hint of one of them. But, also I've heard about general ones that aren't as unique. Girl loves boy but boy doesn't reciprocate. Neither boy or girl love one another but they're in it, for what reason I'm not sure, and both stay although complaining about the other to confidants. Girl wants to love someone but like shoes can't find the right fit, so she branches out to expand the possible matches. The list of things I've encountered recently can actually go on and on, but I'll stick to these.


I'm not sure if I'll simply loop myself into some sort of pretzel, but this has been rolling around in my head for a bit, and even discussing it with my close confidant didn't seem to suffice. I'm sure that we have all made reference to how simple things were when we were kids, "Do you like me? Circle yes or no", and really I'm starting to think that we had it right. Now things get bogged down with expectations and the realization of how  our actions have an effect on the person we once thought we loved. No one (unless you're a dick) likes to hurt someone else, but does stringing them along work any better?


In my boy meets girl with girl scenario it seems like a guys dream come true right? Wrong, there still is the same jealousy, and the same insecurities that come with being with someone that has someone else. There was no joining on the hot lesbian fun, (well at least not yet), and so far the only thing that has surfaced is the feelings of being under appreciated, and left wondering what the hell? Take this and add in a sprinkle of "I just want to be happy with someone syndrome" and you end up with something we have all felt at one time. I want you, but I'm not sure you want me so I'm going to see where this goes. (adult version of circle yes or no, but somehow we just stopped asking, oh and, people started lying). 


The other two situations kind of go hand in hand. Girl loves boy but boy doesn't love girl, and we're in this and we've been at it for so long, but I stopped being in love with you somewhere between We Don't Talk Ln. and  I'm Bored With Our Lives Ave. Some of the streets crossed along this journey are All We Do Is Argue Blvd. and I Have Been Thinking About Cheating Expwy. I'm not sure what's worse on either of these branches. Girl who stays with someone who doesn't love her in that way any more puts up with things she shouldn't. In hopes of...what I'm not sure. Then the couple that stays together out of obligation maybe? Being in something for years, living together, being all that one another knows, is hard to walk away from, but still. What happened to being happy? When did that fall by the wayside?


Maybe I'm just spinning my circles here. These aren't new questions or problems, but there has just been a flow of them lately, and the only thing that I've seen that is the common denominator in them are the terms obligation, not hurting the other person, and fear. I always thought that being happy should be first? Perhaps that is naive of me, but if so I'll take it. I overheard someone say that they had never been in a relationship that hadn't included one other person. Either they had been cheated on or they were the cheater, and I pondered that, and tried to imagine if that were always the situation I, myself, was in. If I was that guy with the hot lesbian (questionable lesbianism there) that kept me on the side. Would hot lesbian suffice? 


Beginnings are scary, endings are often sad, but it's the middle that counts. When there is no middle in sight, or you've past the middle but aren't willing to admit the end, where do you go? There are 50 million books on the dynamics of relationships, hell, eharmony and match wouldn't be around if they weren't making money, but when did it get so complicated? I want to whisper in these peoples ears and tell them to just pass a note. I mean I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish someone would just do that with me. Yes, a no would sting, but it's like a band aid, quick and easy. If yes, well then, maybe there's a little something here. Before you can start a new chapter you have to finish the last, so I think I should remember this next time someone talks to me about  lesbian girlfriends, and un-reciprocated loves, and unhappy couples, because then it just turns into a hot mess that no one wants a part of....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

¿Y la Prieta?

My grandma, Ita, called me Prieta. She called me this because my skin is toasted brown. When I was born my mom says I was light skinned, but she knew “que iba ser morena” because the inside of my little baby thighs were already darker than the rest of me. In the sun, I turn a darker brown. I get even more Prieta. It was a term of endearment. My sister, who has a light complexion, was called guera or guerinchi. When I tell people who don’t speak Spanish what Prieta means, dark or the dark one, their eyes open wide and a small gasp escapes. I see the offense they feel for me sprinkled on their faces like the freckles I will never have. When I try to explain, the offense still shadows their eyes. That is the problem with Spanish. Wait, maybe, that is their problem with Spanish. Even when I explain, they are suspicious. Their faces ask, “Is this true?” as if I am setting them up for a joke. But how can I explain the cultural and literal meaning of a word at the same time?

Birthday Blog: 32 Things I've Learned So Far

1. Priorities change as you get older. 2. Family is important and although I tell myself not to take them for granted I sometimes still do, but what's important is I try. 3. Make plans, lots of plans all the time to give yourself something to laugh about later. 4. One good drink is better than ten bad ones. 5. Beer can be good. Bud Light is not one of those beers. Ever. 6.  BFF's are the ones that change/grow with you. Not every person who was a BFF will stay one. That's okay too; you were in each others lives when you needed to be. 7. Smart beats hot. Every time. 8. Being around negative people is like licking a sick person's hand. It's contagious. Stay away. 9. Patience. Patience. Patience. (I'm still learning that one). 10. Life can continue without that MarcKheil'sChanelSevenChantelleDior thing. It can. Really. 11. If you can't have a conversation. Take the hint. 12. It's okay to cry. A lot. 13. Music. Music that you love that you fee

Los Dichos

No hay mal que por bien no venga. Tanto quiere el diablo a su hijo que hasta un ojo le quiere sacar. Mejor sola que mal acompa ñ ada. Tanto pedo para cagar aguado. Lo barato sale caro. Más seguro más amarrado. Para buen entendido muy pocas palabras. Para cada roto un descocido. Hijo pepe mariquita! Para pendeja no se estudia. Limosnero con garrote. Soy como Orozco, cuando como no conozco. La zorra nunca ve su cola ni el zorrillo su fundillo. El muerto y el arrimado al los tres días huelen. Amores de lejos, amores de pendejos. Estaba haciendo chili con la cola. Me  da diarrea con gusanos. Enfermo que come y mea, y el diablo que se le crea. La esperanza es la última que muere. El flojo trabaja doble. De noche todos los gatos son pardos. Una cosa es Juan Domínguez y otra cosa es no la chingues. Es de Don Cuco, entra la bola no se supo. Primero me besa un ciego. Dime con quién andas y te diré quien eres. No porque te levantas más temprano